Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Out Bidding Minnesota


It just so happens that I didn’t give my brother the money he need for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala. But I was not selfish in my doing at all; he still got a car to drive for the time being. Instead of giving my brother the money for the Impala, I bought him a car myself. My brother and I made a deal, I was going to by a car with some damage and he was going to repair the vehicle and drive it for free.


Knowing this, I set out in on a search for a car that I can get for a cheap price. After searching for a few days I could not find anything that I liked that fit my budget. But last Friday, when my father came home after his choir practice, he told me that he found a Toyota Camry that was going to be auctioned off in Columbus on Saturday. Interested I went to the auction early in the morning to check the car out before the auction started. When I lifted the hood to see what was wrong with the car, I was surprised that the damage was so minor. The problem was, that the battery leaked and the acid corroded away some of the wires in the car and the air filter box.


After giving my brother a call to ask him if he could fix the wire problem, I decide to place the bid. I placed my first bid at $4500 but some guy from Minnesota out bid me, so I raised my bid to $7000. The guy from Minnesota saw that I was not going to give up that easy, so he gave up. His last was $6800, not higher than mine, so that made me the winner of the car.


Now I am a proud owner of a 2005 Toyota Camry with only 15,000 miles for only $7000.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow what a nice brother. Im not sure if i would be that reluctant to by my sister a car to drive around for free even knowing it was my car. That shows you really care and nice enough to help him out. very cool

Steamboat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steamboat said...

Thats great that you were able to outbid that guy. I wish my sister was as nice as you are to your younger brother. for your brother here are some sites for him to help with his repairs. The Top 10 automotive repair sites.

dearthvader said...

yea i would never give my sister a car. i took her 2 week to total her first one. she's not 18 yet, but she has totalled 2 cars. she's just a terrible driver.

KOE said...

I liked your post of bidding $7000 on a camry in Minnesota. I hope that you fix your battery and take it cruising.

Zeek said...

thats cool, that you would try to by your brother a car. my broter would never do that. but thats cool. a least he has a car to drive. that is all that really matters. the nicest car that i have owned i payed for myself now my parents are trying to make to back to the green van like a 1992 dodge caravan yeah thanks mom and dad. no way ive paid for that car im kepping it.

bigwetdirt said...

Dude your nuts there is NO way I would do that for my brother. I love the kid to death but I would never trust anyone to pay me back that kinda money.

ForwardThought said...

Great deal, you can't beat that for any 15,000 mile car or truck. I don't know if you check back with comments, but I answered your question on my blog--Simple Truth

Cap'n Fatback said...

Fantastic post, MM. Sounds like you got a great deal and show brother brownie points to boot.

Oh, and this is not just for you, but others in the comments section: to purchase something is spelled "buy," not "by."

Cap'n Fatback said...

Oh, and I like the title a lot too.